Christians in Nigeria are facing a terrible challenge. Over the past five years, religious persecution has increased dramatically in the northern and “middle belt” regions of the country, and little is being done to prevent it. Religious extremists frequently strike Christian villages, killing men, women and children, destroying property, and burning churches. Since the beginning of 2020, more than 600 Nigerian Christians have been killed, and thousands have lost their homes, businesses, and farms in these brutal attacks.
But in the face of painful loss and danger, Christians all over Nigeria are standing firm in their faith and trusting in Jesus. Church leaders in these affected areas continue to teach the children in their communities what it means to follow Christ—even in times of persecution. Equipped with the David Caleb Cook Foundation’s Life on Life discipleship program in both English and Hausa, these courageous leaders are raising a generation of believers who are discovering what it means to follow Jesus in every area of life. Children learn what the Bible says about difficult topics like persecution, grief, abuse, and fear, and they are encouraged to develop deeper and more meaningful relationships with God, who cares for and protects the vulnerable and the oppressed.
Ministry leaders in Nigeria have shared that they are grateful for these resources that “help children to know that God is with them always, no matter what their situation” and “bring encouragement in a time of great need.”
Please pray with us for the specific needs of the Nigerian church:
- Protection for believers, their families, and their property
- Strength and encouragement for those facing persecution
- God’s transformational work in the hearts and lives of the persecutors
- Provision of funds for the printing of DCCF discipleship resources so more children can learn what it means to have hope in Jesus
- New opportunities to train teachers and leaders to more effectively serve the children in their ministries
Thank you for joining us in prayer for the people of Nigeria!